Reach for the stars

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe.
Design by Henry Sene Yee.

For lack of something better to do, I've decided to start a blog appreciating book covers so here it is: Rough Front: a book appreciation blog. There aren't as many out there as there used to be so I thought I'd create a place to keep track of the covers that I like. I'd rather enjoy the fruits of other people's labours, but we'll see how it goes. With any luck, I'd like to post some of the books I've admired in the past if I can find decent scans of them.

The first book is one by Henry Sene Yee. It's an apt choice, as everything I learned about book design I learned from him. I love the star and the illustrative effect that makes it feel as though the star is racing through the atmosphere; the rocket seems as though it's huffing with the effort of trying to reach it and the stars above.

Read more about the inspiration for the design and see initial sketches at his blog.

No comments: